Thursday, January 23, 2014

Unfriended.

Being away from my friends has made me appreciate friendship even more. I've been lucky enough to have some amazing girlfriends, both in high school and college. Even in times when we may not talk a lot or are bad with calling (aka I hibernate) I know when I'm with them, we will catch up in an instant. I seriously yearn for this friendship and realize how much I miss it every time I'm around them. I had a short visit in St. Louis this weekend to see AMy & Tom, and I was lucky enough to see one of my amazing friends Abby. That I night I dreamt of my Texas ladies, which made me miss them even more. I've realized how how hard it is to make friends in the "real world". I'm not in a friend environment anymore. All through my life I've had a school to meet knew friends. I was involved in sports and other organizations, where you bond and need friends to survive. I had an amazing church youth group, surrounded by people I trusted. Then I went to a tiny college where the word community was shoved down our throat. Now, after being out of there for almost 8 months, I realize I miss that community. It's a lot easier to find friends in communities meant for friendship. 

So how do you meet people in the real world? I am reading a book called "MWF Seeking BFF" by Rachel Bertsche. She address this question by going on new friend dates weekly. Now I definitely am not about to do that (mostly because I don't have money to be that social), but I did learn from her experience that it's important to be intentional. Now in the "real world" you have to go out of your way to meet new people. And now you're competing with the age of technology, where most people are too glued to their phone to look up and start a conversation. So although now I feel like I'm stalking people, I'm learning how to reach out to people to make those connections. Because sitting around having a pity party about how my friends living far away from me isn't going to make me new ones...




No comments:

Post a Comment